ATM stamps !

Khải-SG

ATM stamps !

Post by Khải-SG » Tue 11 Jan, 2011 7:30 am

Introduction to collecting ATM stamps

I admit that I have a lot of “projects” going on; and one of them is building a digital archive of various ATM (or variable rate stamps) stamps I have. The reason for my project is related to fact that several ATM’s (especially those printed on thermal paper) are self-destructive.

Without conservation most ATM stamps will be more or less destroyed in 20-50 years of time; several notably sooner (and yes, I have already lost dozens of ATM’s). The only procedure that guarantees a perfect conservation is to maintain ATM’s in in cold (like freezer of the refrigerator). And that is something I’m not willing to do.

ATM stamps do have also another downside: most of them use non-soakable adhesive. Thus they should be collected on paper, preferably on a whole used cover. So in a sense they are like the recent non-soakable stamps.

Despite these downsides ATM’s provide IMO an interesting challenges for anyone interested in collecting stamps. In essence there are as many ways to collect ATM stamp as there are collectors. ATM’s can be collected by country, by vending machine type, by topic etc. And being such a young branch in philately it definitely has a breach of fresh air without the old grumpy men.

Of course one can wonder why on earth to collect something that will selfdestuct? Just because!

As for catalog values… Most ATM stamps have a catalog value of 1-2€ with random exceptions that go up to tens or hundreds of Euro’s. Personally I have never quite understood why ATM’s are given such a high catalogue value. I admit, they are more scarce than normal stamps. But in the end very few collectors want/collect them.

As for printed references/catalogues… The normal country- and worldwide catalogues contain a simplified listing of ATM’s and for most collectors (me included) this is enough for most cases. But there is also “one book to rule them all” – Michel Automatenmarken-Spezial Katalog. If going deeper with ATM’s, it’s definitely worth the price.

But that’s all I’m going to say right now about the topic. Hope you do enjoy the upcoming posts with pictures (and details) of various ATM stamps of the world.

Con người cần phải sống có đạo lý & đạo lý đòi hỏi con người sự công bằng. Nghèo cho sạch, rách cho thơm.

Return to “Tem theo chủ đề”